Monday, November 3, 2008

Fabulous Fall 2008

Now that it is below 30 degrees on a regular basis and dark at 5 pm, I feel that we can officially call autumn over, or at least in its denouement (literary shout-out to Naomi, even though that's probably not the right way to use that word). It has been a lovely autumn- in fact, one of the most beautiful ones I can remember. The leaves stayed on the trees for a quite a while (and I'm sure are still on in many of your locations), and were really very stunning. I spent more time than I probably should have enjoying the trees from my hammock. I've actually been thinking- what if I postdoc somewhere where there's nowhere to hang up my hammock! What if I end up in a city! Can I do without it for 2 whole years?????

2 Bostonian Conferences

I attended 2 conferences in the Boston-ish area. The first was a weekend conference regional YSA conference at the church's new campsite, Camp Zion. It's really quite nice, and will help with all of the over-crowding at Camp Joseph. It has lots of cute little cabins at campsites like "Council Bluffs" and "Nauvoo" and a lake complete with a small boathouse. We spent an hour out on the lake trying to manuever a rowboat... not that easy. Though, naturally if I had been the one paddling it would have been a different story. But the boys wouldn't let us so, whatever. Below is a picture of the cabin we stayed in as well as the lake, though apparently not in that order.


The second conference was the semi-annual all Ivy league conference, which I think they should rename "Smart Mormon Kids in Debt" (S.M.O.K.I.D). Unfotunately (and fortunately too, I guess) I spent most of the time in the temple working my shifts. I got to do 2 sessions with Dad which was really great! Usually we only see each other in passing even though we're there at the same time. But the conference was really fun- I only took 2 pictures and they're both just of Elyse making funny faces, so if other people have some they should let me know, because my collection is severly lacking.

The Tunbridge World's Fair!

That's right, the Tunbridge World's Fair- and by World's fair we mean county fair with a fancy name. Though it is 138th year and thus deserves a great deal of respect. It doesn't fail to live up to its name, though! Everything there is huge- the oxen, the pumpkins, the horses, the tractors, the corndogs... need I go on? Also, I bet you all have never seen so many things that were flavored with maple syrup. I highly recommend the maple cotton candy. It's pretty amazing. I should also mention that the parking lot attendants were from the military. I've never seen such efficient and frankly, intimidating people direct us how to park our car. They took their job way seriously. They were also the people who were selling the tickets at the front. It was really kind of strange. That's a lot of security for Tunbridge, VT. I mean, the fair probably increases the town's population by a factor of 10 every night it's open.

These ducks were sooo cute- they were miniature!
Maggie is thinking of a career change. Who needs law school when you can drive this puppy all day?

Mt. Cardigan- take 2!

In an older post you can see us doing this hike with the family after Arielle's graduation. I think it's in "Summer- take 1". Maggie and I would have had a "whitest legs" competition this time too, and I'm sure I would have won, except it was too dang cold at the top to do anything but huddle behind giant rocks and try to take pictures. The wind was seriously intense. The view was spectacular, though! This was actually General Conference weekend. We hiked in the morning, watched conference, went apple picking and then watched more conference. I think it was the single most productive day I've ever had. I don't think I'll ever top it.
This is me being silly.


I went around and tried to take foliage pictures. This is Tex enjoying the view at Mascoma lake. Notice that both of these tires look full- I've had a couple incidents in that arena lately due to the construction on our street that is now FINALLY over! Anyway, isn't she cute?Homecoming

No fall term at Dartmouth would be complete without the Homecoming bonfire. The freshman build a huge (and safely designed) wood scaffolding with the year of their class on top (in this case, 12). The tower is lit, turns blazing hot and all the freshman have to run around it (in this case the goal is 112 times) while everyone else stands around yelling encouraging things like "Run, freshman, run!" "Worst class ever" "You're running the wrong way, turn around!" and my personal favorite "Touch the fire!" They like to make them feel welcome. Those of us who don't yell, watch the fire for a while and then go get some free donuts and cider in the student center. mmmmm.... donuts.....

Halloween

I bet the rest of you didn't hit up 3 Halloween parties this year. But we sure did! Actually, 4 if you count the trunk-or-treat on Wednesday. Which is pretty awesome in our ward because the kids are so cute! The first Halloween party, I will grant you, ended really early and the second one we were only at for about 10 minutes. But they were pretty fun, and it was the most excitement we had seen in a while. What's funny is that the 10 of us LDS Dartmouth kids go so stir crazy we have to get out and go to these Boston activities, but once we get there all we do is hang out together and take pictures of each other! I guess that shows how close we really are. Ahhhh.... I will end my official report of fall with this picture of the classiest clown in the world trying to entertain Wonder Woman. But alas, to no avail. Despite all her powers, Wonder Woman doesn't get my highly sophisticated comedic talent. If only I knew how to juggle. Crystal, where were you when I needed you?

With that we can settle into winter. Upcoming posts will include- "Chantel meets Philadelphia" as I attend the American Society of Human Genetics meeting next week, "Thanksgiving and the Macy's Day Parade" (provided we are actually successful in getting Dad out of bed early enough to go the parade) and "Life in a Swing State!", as I'm sure tomorrow's election day in New Hampshire will be something to remember. Have a lovely day- thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

Beth said...

i am excessively jealous of your autumns btw.
you are a temple worker too??? high five to us!!! sadly I will be out of job soon here in Laie. I geuss i must be Kona bound for the next year and a half or so.
thanks so much yet another awesome post!

Kersti said...

Fabulous! Fall! 2008!